Have you heard about it ? No, but I am sure that you faced it and might be get affected by it for some how
Ok, let me put it in different way
imagine you are the owner of some business and have some talented people working with you
Now you are getting a lot of projects and you are looking for qualified people to run them
Well, i guess you will not go for other than the options listed below
- You know that "Kamal" is a perfect network engineer and showed excellent technical skills
He did a lot for the company and he deserve to get promoted. Kamal is promoted to be PM
- Or, you will put an ad and ask for qualified project manager with 10+ years of experience as PM and you will find "Tareq" is the best of them so you hired Tareq as PM
- Or you will look for person among your team "Ali" who showed excellent communication & organizing skills, he is not the best technically but he can control and communicate to all of the stakeholders in your projects.
- Or you will go back to "Kamal" option but first you will give him a training on PM. increase his knowledge in this new field and then ask him to manage your project. In other words, you invested in him
So, which choice you find your self welling to pick up, but please don’t go to option 1, it is the halo effect, promoting the most experienced guy technically to PM might lead to
- loose of valuable resource in the technical domain
- get poor project manger will result in unexpected bad results!!
you are thinking of hiring person from outside, ok, well, assume that you have a qualified person in your team who feel that he deserve to get promoted, did you think that you might lose him?
So, for me I would like to go for option 3 or 4 and I liked 4
(my name is not Kamal and I am not any business owner 🙂 )
So what do you think